Your winter news
The winter 2016 edition of Community News is now available.
Our headline article once again features the plans to graze cattle on Whiteshute Ridge. There was an excellent response to the public engagement event held in October, and you can read about the results of this meeting, find out about the proposed conservation management day and get contact details for more information.
Highlights of our other news
- Read about the many clubs and activities that take place at the Community Centre. This quarter, among others, there is information about the Badger Farm Art Group, a new singing group and details of upcoming winter events for the Wildlife Trust and the Winchester Horticultural Society.
- News from our local schools include a short report on the “Batty Evening” held at Oliver’s Battery Primary School. Stanmore Primary School’s children enjoyed a chocolate workshop and a trip to Butser Ancient Farm. At Oliver’s battery Pre-School the children have been transforming their “home corner” into a jungle adventure. It’s also great to read that our own Badger Farm Pre-School Playgroup have been chosen by Sainsbury’s as their Charity of the Year!
- Winchester Action on Climate Change share some energy-efficient cooking tips.
- Badger Farm Parish Council invite you to a meeting on 9th January 2017 at 6.30pm to find out your ideas on what new play equipment would be appealing at the Central Play Area. Oliver’s Battery Parish Council share some interesting information on the ongoing quest for improvements at the junction of Oliver’s Battery Road South and Badger Farm Road.
- Among many great new ideas to develop a sense of community, the Oliver’s Battery Plan Team will be holding a Film Night at Oliver’s Battery Primary School on 27th January at 7.30pm. If it is successful, this may be the first of more such evenings, so do go along and support it!
- Our local councillors share details of proposed Parliamentary boundary changes and news on Bushfield Camp. On a lighter note, they highlight the Christmas in Winchester website.
- Neighbourhood Watch highlights the elevated number of incidents of theft from motor vehicles in the local area in the last few months. Many of the targeted cars were unlocked, so Neighbourhood Watch give some useful tips on how to minimise the risk of your car being added to these numbers.
- Nature Notes shares news about vandalism to local trees. The declining number of hedgehogs is a national concern and you can read tips to encourage hedgehogs back to your garden.
- In Ann’s Computer Corner you can read how to decorate your computer’s desktop for Christmas.
Everyone here at the Badger Farm Community Centre would like to wish you a very peaceful Christmas and a prosperous New Year.