A new edition of Community News
The Summer 2016 edition of Community News is here! Our front cover story focuses on the Oliver’s Battery Questionnaire, featuring a Word Cloud giving a visual representation of the main positives of living in Oliver’s Battery. We also invite you to attend our Annual General Meeting on 27 July.
- Our Trustees have been busy. Stanley Judd wins a Community Award and Liz Lindsay compled the London Marathon in a personal best time.
- A new singing group and a new Latin Line beginners’ class are starting up at the Community Centre.
- Details of this year’s Seniors’ Holiday Week at St Luke’s Church Centre.
- Do your bit for charity. Sign up for a Charity Golf Day to be held in aid of BrendonCare or Afternoon Tea with May Martin, judge on the Great British Sewing Bee, in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society.
- Oliver’s Battery Community Centre Charity is hosting a Family Fun Day on 23 July to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of St Mark’s.
- How Oliver’s Battery Primary School is “moving from strength to strength” following its “Good” Ofsted rating.
- You can now follow Stanmore Primary School on Twitter. You may catch news about the day the school was taken over by superheroes or when children’s author Ali Sparkes, who is the school’s Patron of Reading, ran two writing workshops.
- The Winchester Embroiderers’ Guild’s open day.
- The Oliver’s Battery Parish Council talk about the recreation ground, development on Pitt Vale, dog fouling and distraction burglaries. They will be holding a 60th Anniversary Barn Dance later in the year.
- Our local Councillors discuss the Whiteshute Ridge project and Pitt Vale. There is local interest in a kerb-side glass collection and the need for an improved bus service in Oliver’s Battery.
- Steve Brine, reports on his work with Open Doors, the Oliver’s Battery Parish Plan and his campaign for a dedicated Children’s Emergency Department in Southampton.
- Oliver’s Battery Pre-School also received a Community Award. The children took part in a sponsored Obstacle Course.
- On 8 August, Badger Farm Parish Council are holding an Extra-Ordinary meeting. They will discuss further developments of both Davis Kickabout and the Central play areas.
- St Mark’s church is heading into a summer of celebrations.
- Ann’s Computer Corner looks at how to safely download software.
- Nature is in the news with an introduction to the tawny owl and an invitation to spend time in the Oliver’s Battery Wildlife Area.
Along with all this, you can keep up-to-date with all the information about the regular events and activities at the Community Centre and find out more about the local businesses who help support Community News.
We hope you enjoy reading this edition!